The tactical buyer is responsible for procurement of raw materials, fabricated and machined metal and plastic parts, equipment and maintenance supplies for designated product lines, working from requisitions covering items and quantities required. This position will blend strategic thinking with tactical day to day responsibilities: material planning including determining ordering or rescheduling needs, processing requisitions and issuing purchase orders, expediting purchase orders, negotiating new item prices, preparing various reports and records, and help resolving quality problems. This position provides support functions to Engineering Department, Production Planning, Accounting Department, and Corporate Purchasing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Active inventory management by determining appropriate stock levels to ensure high service levels and optimized inventory levels.
- Analyzing of MRP exception messages to react to changing material requirements (quantity, requested availability dates). Delay or expedite deliveries if necessary.
- Place purchase orders for CAPEX, direct and indirect materials, based on system generated and manual requisitions
- Maintenance of vendor acknowledgements to ensure up-to-date material availability information in ERP system
- Pro-active management of past due purchase order lines
- Track supply and stock situation; take corrective actions if necessary, and provide suitable information to internal customers
- Maintain material master data related to purchasing to ensure compliance of lead times, MOQ, Rounding values etc.
- Coordinates with Accounting Department to correct any discrepancies in documents or to supply necessary documents needed for invoicing, standard costs, purchase price variances, tooling, etc.
- Analyze future demand trends in cooperation with Sales and Service or other involved functions
- Support non-conformity / warranty process management and help to resolve non-conformances and overall quality performance
- Create an effective and business focused working relationship with key internal customers; Manufacturing, Production Planning, Sales, Service, Warehouse and Engineering built on good communication and shared ambition
- Work with product lifecycle management (PLM) in new product introductions, and product phase-out activities.
- Execute assigned projects as defined.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Familiar with purchasing processes, financial reporting, and manufacturing cost systems.
- Exposure within a technical engineering environment, especially engineered-to-order, is desirable.
- Ability to provide informative and professional assistance when working with the suppliers/customers and co-workers, including maintaining positive interpersonal relationships which encourage openness.
- Demonstration of strong verbal and written communication skills to produce accurate, professional and error-free documents and present information and train personnel at all levels.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to prioritize workload.
- Strong problem solving skills and the ability to work under own initiative is required.
- Experience in managing FSM, Machined Parts, and Steel commodities
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software and some in depth exposure to MRP
- Knowledge of SAP a plus.
Minimum Education / Experience Required:
- Bachelor degree in Industrial Engineering, Supply Chain Management, Operations Management, Logistics, Business Administration, Finance, or related field
- 3-5 years of experience in purchasing, production planning, or any equivalent combination of education and experience
- This position has a travel requirement of less than 10%.