The Materials Manager will be responsible for complete supply-chain management from vendor selection to shop floor delivery. A key component of this role will be effective and proactive vendor management with a goal of improved vendor selection, quality, on-time delivery and price. This managerial role will be customer-focused and action-oriented and results driven.
- Effectively manage and source material to drive cost reductions in the supply base by providing leadership to the purchasing and materials team consisting of seven hourly and salaried employees.
- Implement replenishment programs with suppliers to optimize inventory turns while supporting customer requirements
- Work with Quality and Operations to drive continuous improvement with suppliers.
- Develop systems and processes to improve and optimize the use of MRP / ERP systems in meeting key business objectives.
- Where needed, establish procurement policies and procedures ensuring compliance with all domestic and international requirements.
- Direct major contract negotiations including terms and conditions with critical suppliers to secure goods and services at competitive prices using creative negotiations to maximize company profit.
- Develop and implement strategic procurement plans for risk mitigation, improved long-term competitive positioning and minimizing exposure to escalation of cost drivers.
- Develop, report and manage key metrics as directed by the Plant Manager.
- Purchase components including machined and fabricated parts, finished goods, raw materials, supplies, sub-assemblies and capital equipment consistent with delivery and quality requirements in a cost competitive environment.
- Responsibility for instituting effective warehousing processes for part identification, storage and delivery while maintaining appropriate inventory levels.
- BS degree in a technical or business discipline preferred. Training and/or certifications such as a CPM (Certified Purchasing Manager) a plus.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience required in a manufacturing environment with purchasing, sourcing processes and negotiations (demonstrated expertise).
- Must possess proven leadership, team-building, management and motivational skills.
- Ability to interface effectively with all functions – internal and external to the company.
- Effective communicator written and verbally who is positive, proactive, and able to express ideas.
- Six Sigma and/or Lean experience is a plus.
- In depth knowledge of cost modeling and cost drivers.
- MRP / ERP experience required.
- Excellent computer skills: Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel & Word.